Miami-Dade Career and Technical Education (CTE) K-8, middle school and high school programs of study integrate rigorous academic study with technical and soft work skills in specific career pathways of the career cluster Information Technology. Computer Systems & Information Technology, Cisco Networking Academy, Computer Systems & Information Technology, CompTia Academy, Network Systems Administration Microsoft IT Academy and Technology Support Services.
Career Exploration in Middle School
At the middle school level, students are introduced to CTE programs in exploration and introduction courses, which are designed to pique their interest in learning about career clusters and pathways. Middle school IT students have the opportunity to participate in FBLA leadership training and competitions, and to also achieve digital learning tool certificates and/or industry certification. Courses are aligned to Florida state-approved curriculum; and to high school CTE programs.
Career Preparatory in High School
High school students begin study of CTE Information Technology (IT) programs in the ninth grade, which provides them an opportunity to concentrate their efforts in an IT career pathway. These programs of study consist of 4 or more year-long courses, participation in FBLA, achievement of industry certification, and work-based learning opportunities.
The Information Technology Career Cluster incorporates four pathways: Network Systems; Information Support & Services; Programming & Software Development; and Interactive Media.
- Computer Systems & Information Technology Cisco Networking Academy
- Computer Systems & Information Technology, CompTia Academy
- Network Systems Administration Microsoft IT Academy
- Technology Support Services
IT Related Extracurriculars: Esports
High school students that participate in CTE Information Technology (IT) programs usually participate in the CTE Esports extracurricular activities. The Esports program helps students develop important life skills like critical communication, collaboration, and problem-solving abilities while engaging with entertaining technology.
Learn more about CTE Esports
Usually achieved during senior year with online exam and sometimes with the demonstration of skills (may also be age and experiential hours requirements.)
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) (CISCO004)
- CompTIA A+ (A.S. Computer Engineering Technology) (COMPT001)
- CompTIA Network+ (COMPT006)
- CompTIA Security+ (COMPT008)
- CompTIA Server+ (COMPT009)
- Microsoft Certified Solutions Assoc. (MCSA)-Windows Server 2016 (MICRO106)
- Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) Bundle Certification (3 of 5) (MICRO069)
- Microsoft Office Specialist Master (MICRO017)
- MTA - Database Administration Fundamentals (MICRO070)
- MTA - HTML5 Application Developer Fundamentals (MICRO080)
- MTA - Mobility and Devices Fundamentals (MICRO102)
*Middle and high school
(Not all certifications listed above are offered at all schools listed)
Average Hourly Wages
|OCCUPATIONS||Median Hourly Wage
State of Florida
|Applications Software Developer||$45.74||$48.10|
|Computer & Information Systems Manager||$74.66||$70.47|
|Computer Hardware Engineer||$44.11||$38.03|
|Information Security Analyst||$44.11||$45.77|
|IT Project Manager||$38.12||$35.31|
|Source: Florida Dept. of Economic Opportunity, 2022-23 Regional Demand Occupations List|